HIRING! DEADLINE AUGUST 3RD: HOMELESSNESS MARATHON OUTREACH AND PRODUCTION COORDINATOR
Remember last year’s incredible Homelessness Marathon? YOU could help organize 2013›s Marathon!
In February 2013, CKUT and stations across the country will create the eleventh annual Homelessness Marathon. CKUT is hiring youth intern to coordinate the 14-hour Homelessness Marathon national broadcast, with a specific focus on outreach to stations, encouraging stations to take on producing and hosting a few hours of the broadcast live in their cities, and improving the news capacities of sister stations by providing tools for producing homelessness radio.
This is a part-time (15 hours/week), contract position.
- Wage: $14.66/hour
- Application Deadline: Friday, August 3rd at Midnight EST
- Start Date: August 15, 2012
- End Date: March 15, 2013
- This youth internship is open to candidates 30 years and younger.
- This position is made possible by the Community Radio Fund of Canada (CRFC).
About the Homelessness Marathon
The Homelessness Marathon serves up 14 hours of people-powered radio, from dusk until dawn, broadcasting from multiple cities across Canada in late February. With the goal of being a consciousness-raising event, the Marathon provides an opportunity for homeless people and their allies to take to the airwaves, and allow a nationwide discussion on homelessness issues and possible solutions.
About the Position
Homelessness Marathon Outreach and Production Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the national broadcast with the support of CKUT’s Community News Coordinator. This position provides an opportunity for a youth to gain experience in the technical aspects of a live remote broadcast, the coordination of a national broadcast event, and community-based journalism. The youth intern will also help coordinate and produce Off the Hour, CKUT’s community news program, in order to gain news production and organizational skills. They will also help with certain Community Access programming at CKUT (such as Chrome House - a new radio training programme offered on a weekly basis over a 6 week period to members of a West Montreal Readaptation Centre group home for young women and girls under 18 years old living with disAbilities - and The Avalanche - a weekly one-hour programme hosted and teched by adults with intellectual and physical disAbilities which often features lectures and documentaries produced by CKUT’s news department.
Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- confirming participation with stations across the country and maintaining communication before, during and after the broadcast
- encouraging stations across Canada to take on producing and hosting at least a few hours of the broadcast live in their cities
- updating the Homelessness Marathon website
- managing technical aspects of broadcasts
- preparing and distributing national promotion materials
- researching and preparing a list of topics and possible guests
- promoting the marathon to the segment of the population in Montreal living with homelessness
- recruiting volunteers
- confirming hosts and guests
- creating runsheets and instruction guides
- arranging food for the broadcast
- archiving and promoting location of archives
volunteer coordination • computer skills • experience working with First Nations and/or individuals who face homelessness and poverty • campus-community radio and journalism • event coordination • social justice • in a consensus based environment • working knowledge of French and English • self-motivation and independence
How to Apply
Please send CV and cover letter to CKUT hiring committee at 3647 rue Universite, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2B3 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org